Marriage License Help for getting Married at Elope Georgian Bay

Below are links to download the a Marriage License Application, find your local Ministry of Municipal Affairs (where you’ll have to take your completed application) as well as some basic information about Marriage Licences in Ontario.




Applicants must be 18 years of age or over to obtain a Marriage License. Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must have both parents’ consent (or parent with custody of a minor). No person under the age of 16 years of age may be married.

Forms you need before you marry

Before you get married, you need either:

  • a marriage licence, or
  • a banns form that you get from a church when you publicly announce your commitment during a divine service (a church publishes this declaration, called “the publication of banns”)

Banns cannot be published if you or your spouse has been married before. You will need to get a marriage licence. You and your spouse, witnesses and the person who performed the marriage will need to sign the licence or banns immediately after the ceremony.

How to get a marriage licence

To get a marriage licence, you will need to:

  • Pay a fee (fees vary and depend on the municipality)
  • Bring 2 pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married.  One piece of identification must include your photo.

Please check the municipality’s website to ensure you have all of the information required to purchase a marriage licence.
A marriage licence is valid for 90 days from the date it was issued.

Download the Marriage Licence Application form (PDF)

Find a local city hall, town hall or municipal office

Get married outside Ontario

Get a marriage certificate

A marriage certificate is the legal record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married.
You need this document to:

  • show legal proof you are married
  • apply for certain social benefits
  • settle an estate
  • change a last name

A Record of Solemnization of Marriage is not the same thing as a marriage certificate.
Before you can get a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered.
The official who performed the marriage will do this by sending a complete and signed marriage licence to ServiceOntario.

Order a marriage certificate

Change a name after marriage

When you get married, you don’t have to legally change your last name (surname). But if you choose to legally change your last name, you can do so through ServiceOntario.

Change my last name

Divorce or Annulment

If an applicant has been granted a divorce or annulment in Canada, the applicant is to file with the issuer the original or a court certified copy of their final divorce papers (certificate of divorce or decree absolute). If an applicant has been granted a divorce or an annulment in a jurisdiction other than Canada the applicant should speak to an Issuer of Marriage Licenses to receive additional requirements.


**This information is provided as a free service. Elope Georgian Bay cannot be responsible for incorrect or outdated information. Please contact us for more information.**

It’s Going to be Perfect!

Book your dream ceremony today!